Friday, April 3, 2009

different perspectives

I put this on my personal blog; but then thought that it fits here too.

I came across this from Andrew Perriman at Open Source Theology:

I’m very conscious of the fact that pretty much all of our divisions and disagreements arise because we find it almost impossible - emotionally - to choose one path through the forest without denigrating all those who choose to follow a different path.


This is something I've been thinking and talking about when it comes to Convergence. This dream that we can be a faith community made up of people with different ideas, different interpretations, different takes on issues, different callings and passions.


I had lunch with a friend and Convergence member last week. We have different perspectives on an issue facing churches these days. I told her my hope was that she and I could tell each other our perspective without feeling the need to convince the other to agree; that we could listen and seek to understand one another; that we could be open to the possibilities of another perspective; and live and fellowship and serve in community, even when we don't agree.


As a pastor, I don't want to build a church where everyone agrees with me (I'm well-aware that I'm often not right!) But I do want a church where people are free to explore, dialog, hold and share different opinions, perspectives and interpretations; and that the common ground is to know and experience and love and reflect Jesus.

1 comment:

jason said...

I have been trying to do this also, and I can tell you, from experience, that one challenge is that you are not only challenging certain views of truth (there is only one that's legit) but also views of what the church's role is and the pastors job is (to teach and defend that one view of truth). SO anyone who holds this view of what the church's job is is going to have a hard time feeling like they are getting what they "need" from our churches.

I guess what I am trying to say is that I hope you have better luck then I have had.

Grace,
jason